A World of Progress TeamZine has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http:// www.aworldofprogress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Homestead Update ~ Late Winter

Today's post comes to us from my fellow homesteader Thurman at Random Abstractions.

Homestead Update ~ Late Winter

Spring is on the way and soon it will be planting time again here in my little corner of the planet. We sent out our seed and plant orders earlier this week and I can't believe the amount of money we spent this year, but we've got big plans for the garden, plus expansion of the fruit trees and berry vines too. We ended up ordering from three different plant & seed suppliers. I read recently that poor economic times are boom times for seed houses. Based on how much we spent, I can easily see why.

I also tried out a new firewood supplier this week. For the past several years, I've been the supplier - cutting, hauling, splitting, and stacking the two or three cords of wood required to keep my family warm each winter. Unless you've done it yourself, you probably have no idea how much time and exertion are required to put away that much firewood. Last fall after another long afternoon swinging the axe, I decided that when Uncle Sam sent my tax refund this year, part of the funds would go toward buying a load or two of wood.

Earlier this week I helped out the local economy and ordered a truckload from my local woodsman. For $150 I received a huge pile of split hardwood logs, cut to the proper length, and delivered to within thirty feet of my wood shed. The young man who delivered it was prompt and professional and he now has a regular customer for as long as he chooses to stay in business. I'll still keep my trusty chainsaw handy and pick up a bit of firewood here and there, but as long as it's an option, delivered sure beats cutting the entire supply myself.

The other essential need on any homestead - food and a warm, dry shelter being the first two - is access to clean, potable water. Here in our little corner of the world we are fortunate to have a good, dependable well within 100 feet of our back door. It's operated by a 220 volt submersible pump with an in line pressure tank. Were it not for the need to occasionally change the filter, and the lack of chemical taste in the water, it would be easy to forget that we are not connected to a municipal supply.

I've done a great deal of thinking about the problems associated with climate change, over population, and most recently, peak oil, and over the years I've become increasingly concerned about my family's dependence on the electrical grid that keeps my deep water well functioning.

I've spent a good bit of time over the past year or two researching alternative methods for getting my water out of the ground. Solar or wind powered pump systems require a good deal of over building to compensate for those times when either the sun isn't shining or the wind isn't blowing. Batteries and solar panels also have a limited lifespan, especially if not properly cared for and maintained. Since my brother-in-law's family also uses our well, I'm less than comfortable switching to such an expensive and delicate system.

The only remaining option I can see is to install a hand pump. I've found several designs (look here and here, if interested) that appeal to me and would function well enough, but everything I've found will cost in the neighborhood of $1000 to purchase and install. Ouch!

I know a lot of people think I'm some kind of paranoid, deluded crackpot for worrying about such things, and maybe I am, but think about it for a moment. If the worst possible disaster you can envision happened today, how would you survive? I may not have any retirement savings put away, but I've managed to put myself and my family in a place where no bank can take our home, we have enough food stored to keep us from starving for several months, and enough firewood put away to heat our house for at least one hard winter. Doesn't it make sense, having provided for all the other necessities, to take the next step and know that we'll have clean drinking water available, no matter what may or may not happen?

**************************

Thanks for supporting AWOP TeamZine with a quick review when you click on our "Thumb This Up" button below.

Peace Y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment

Based on original Visionary template by Justin Tadlock
Visionary Reloaded theme by Blogger Templates

Visionary WordPress Theme by Justin Tadlock Powered by Blogger, state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform